Saturday, September 26, 2009

Roosterbowl lore

Bake left me a voicemail this morning, and his message reminded me that tonight's matchup between Texas Tech and Cougar High has some Roosterbowl history woven in. What Bake mentioned, was that UH offensive coordinator Dana Holgorson was previously the offensive coordinator under Mike Leach at Tech. What Bake failed to remember (or mention), was the significance of UH head coach Kevin Sumlin in Roosterbowl history.

During the 2002 season, Kevin Sumlin replaced Dino Babers as A&M's offensive coordinator. Sumlin was the mastermind of the famed "Gulf Coast Offense", and his first game as OC was in Roosterbowl V, Cinco de Rooster....also known as "the Shootout", which Tech won in double overtime, 48-47.

1 comment:

bake said...

You're right - I did miss that. I guess Everything That Is Aggy ran him off when Me and My RC left after that year.

Sumlin should've been retained,not to mentioned, promoted. Then again, I'm glad he wasn't because I quickly became very fond of Coach Fraud and his bag of tricks.

Aggy really cranked up the tempo in that game, and eventually beat Blow U too.

Sumlin got screwed.