Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Aggie predictions

Well, it's 25 days until kickoff of the 2006 Aggie football season, and I guess it's time to make my predictions for the season. I will start off by acknowledging the incredibly weak-ass non-con lineup for A&M. I gave Tech fans hell last year about their pitiful schedule last year, and pitiful is pitiful.....A&M's non-conference schedule is completely embarrassing.

Many of you will be surprised by the incredible objectivity in my picks this year. Don't think I have removed my maroon colored glasses...I haven't. I just see a lot of debris in the road ahead, and in the end, it may be littered with the body parts of our former Longhorn DC, and the man I will henceforth refer to as "Maroon Mackovick", or MM for short. I hope I am dreadfully wrong.

The offense will be fantastic. Under the leadership of Stephen McGee, the return of Riley, Taylor, and Schroeder at receiver, Bennett at TE, a great power running game, and experienced O-line, the Aggie offense will be one of the best in the country.

The defense is still highly suspect. The first red flag is the orange DC who constructed a pitiful longhorn defense in the '90s. What in the hell is a 4-2-5? They say it will be a great style to run against the aerial offenses like Tech, but isn't that pretty much what we ran against Tech last year in Lubbock? I would guess we had 5 DB's on every play in that debacle on the South Plains. Regardless, I think Adrian Peterson, along with lesser tailbacks in the Big 12, will have a heyday with a 4-2-5 defense. Once again, I hope I am wrong.

Hopefully, personnel will play a big role in improving the Aggie defense. We still have Red Bryant, Jason Jack, Chris Harrington, and Michael Bennett up front. Those guys will all be better this year. Unfortunately, we lost a top RS lineman, Will Morrissey, to "personal issues". With a name like Morrissey, you would expect some personal issues I guess.

Should be strong at LB with Justin Warren and the juco tx Mark Dodge (seems really weird to have only 2 linebackers at what was once "linebacker U"). DB's will be Devin Gregg, Kay Carpenter, Danny Gorrer, Melvin Bullitt, among a host of other spares. For those of you that don't remember, Melvin Bullitt was the guy who performed a huge, on-field celebration, taunting the OU offense after stopping them from scoring their TWELVTH touchdown of the day in 2003. Hopefully, he will have some more "legit" celebrations in 2006 (like he did on this INT of Vince Young last year).

My actual, game by game predictions are coming. I need to go make a pitcher of maroon kool-aid and Stoli first.

No comments: