Sunday, August 20, 2006

Roosterbowl in Dallas???


Tech weighs dollars, sense of moving A&M football game to Dallas (requires registration)

Oh, what will we do if they move the Roosterbowl to Dallas? Will it be at the Cotton Bowl? (that's what this article implies) ...or at the new Cowboy's stadium in Arlington? Somehow, setting up an RV and tailgating in Arlington just doesn't have much of a sexy feel to it. Fair park would be a little better, but may make the game a punchline to OU and whorn fans, since they will have likely just dumped the Cotton Bowl to move their game to Arlington. I'm not sure I want to spend the night in Fair Park either.

On a positive note, a neutral site would certainly elevate the status of this contest, and bring more of a national spotlight to the Rooster. I know He would like that, and it would serve His interests well. The Cotton Bowl is a familiar place for Aggie fans, which might lend advantage to the Ags. Tech has only played there twice, but we could send them a map.

Roosterbowl at the Cotton Bowl would move us to a downtown hotel...maybe the Magnolia, which wouldn't be too bad. We could set up a tailgate party just for gameday, and wouldn't lose too much of the "feel" of Rooster weekend.

I have always thought this was just a pipe dream for Tech, to have this game moved to Dallas, and give them much needed $ for the athletic department. It seems more real with comments like this from Gerald Meyers: "The earliest this could happen would be the fall of '07, next year," Myers said. "As I sit here today, it's not a done deal. We don't have anything signed. Once we agree to move the game or not move the game, that's when we'll start making those decisions."

As for me, I am very torn over this issue. Ultimately, I want what is best for Texas A&M, and for The Rooster.

4 comments:

genexjorgy said...

This would be great for Tech and Tech fans. I'm definitely for it. Although I agree with your comment regarding OU and UT fans claiming "sloppy seconds", I think the game should be in Dallas. F#$% Arlington. I hate that all major sports venues and events are migrating there. I don't understand it. The city sucks. It's a haven for white trash vacations. It's not that I don't enjoy partaking in a little Six Flags every once in a while, but that's not where the fifth largest media market should house its teams.

Anyway, Rooster, what bowl was A&M in last year? I forgot. Tech played in the 2006 Cotton Bowl and lost on a last second, fluke, ridiculous field goal. Thus, there's no need to send a map. On the other hand, the Rooster should consider distributing the following address to aggie fans: 3750 Midway Plaza, Dallas, Texas 75210. My guess is they have forgotten it -- or want to forget it -- considering Tennessee absolutely shallacked Coach F's team 38-7 last time A&M played there.

Forget staying in a hotel near Fair Park. The Magnolia works. Hotel ZaZa, The Fairmont, and The Adolphus are also options.

Magnum said...

nice to see you posting on Roosterbowl Jorgy. I hear Tech fans travel well....Will you make it to the game this year?

Magnum said...

how would that be different from any other year??

bake said...

True. You remember what happend to my paper almost weekly when we lived on Elm.