Sunday, September 03, 2006

A&M 35, Citadel 3

I was thrilled to be at Kyle Field on opening day, but overall, the game was boring. Especially after the blocked punt early in the 2nd quarter. With the Aggies up 21-0, Fran really started rotating a lot of different players in, and I never felt like there was any rhythm at all. It looked like they were just trying different things with different players. They even burned redshirts on 5 freshmen: Michael Goodson, Jordan Pugh, EJ Shankle, Matt Symanski, and Cody Beyer. Goodson looked electrifying, with 44 yards on 5 carries. Unfortunately, he lost the ball on two of those carries.

With the game so uneventful, I made an effort to "soak in" some of the changes at Kyle Field, namely, the new video board in the South end zone, and the "ribbon board", which stretches all the way around the 2nd deck.

The video board is incredible. Blake has already pointed out to me that it is smaller than the new video board at DKR Memorial, but it was great, nevertheless. From what I have read, Kyle's video board is about the same height as at UT, but UT's is much longer. I have to assume they are compensating for something.

The jury is out, however, on the "ribbon board". Maybe it will just take some getting used to, but I found it to be too busy. Every time I looked up to read game stats or other game scores, it would flash to a Coca Cola ad or to a very busy graphic of fans waving 12th Man towels (when Ags were on D). The damn thing is so long, I had a hard time finding the information I wanted, even when it stayed up long enough for me to read it. The Kyle Field announcer also apologized for a "blue hue" to the ribbon board, which I hadn't noticed, but he said was going to be fixed.

Overall, we had a great time. It was hot as hell (fortunately, our seats were under the overhang), and Madi and Shannon got worn out early, but Madi said she loved it, and wouldn't leave her seats, even when I offered to take her to get a Lemon Chill. She especially loved the band, and sang along to every Aggie song (evidence of indoctrination since birth). On the way to the car, she was talking about where she would live at A&M and asking if it was okay with her mom for her to go to A&M instead of UT. Looks like we may have shifted her a little, at least until she visits Austin again.

No comments: