Monday, September 18, 2006

week 3

It's quiet around here after week 3, after the Tech offense got figured out by TCU, and A&M almost coughed one up to Army.

I was at the Army/A&M game in San Antonio, and I have to say, it really doesn't cause me that much concern. I know I had the same feeling after the Texas State game last year, and my feeling turned out to be off base, since the Ags went 5-6. This is really just an observation from a guy who is admittedly high on maroon kool-aid.

A&M seemed committed to run the ball Saturday. The game plan was so conservative, it made me think something was just off. The San Antonio paper suggested that A&M went with an option-heavy attack to confuse gameplanning by Tech. I personally don't think our coaching staff even thought it that far out. This is something that could probably not be observed on TV, but I think A&M gameplanned conservatively so as not to embarrass our opponent.

Army was the home team Saturday, so there was a great deal of pomp and circumstance around West Point, the military, and their tradition, etc. During the 1st quarter, they were even stopping play to induct recruits into the Army, and promote soldiers in rank. A&M changed one of their yells, so as to make sure they got no bad PR by saying "Beat the Hell Outta Army". I think it was just another PR move to make sure not to beat Army by 4 touchdowns, when some these guys are going overseas to fight in a matter of months. This PR move obviously backfired, as Army came to play, and capitalized on every mistake A&M made, and almost won the damn thing.

The good news is, the Aggies escaped with a W, and hopefully learned something from it.

What the hell happened to Tech? I don't know, and don't feel qualified to comment, since I didn't watch the game. According to Gary Patterson, it's "speed baby".

3 comments:

bake said...

Don't really know what happened other than the simple fact the offense was atrocious. If I'd known TC-Who would have been held to 4 FGs beforehand, I would have gladly taken it.

Maybe Tech needs to schedule teams like University of Mother Teresa and Bob Jones State again.

Magnum said...

try Citadel and ULALA, but avoid Army :-)

Magnum said...

I want to clarify what I said in this post, for those of you, who like Blake, thought I was saying A&M purposely only beat Army by 4 points.

That is not even close to what I said. What I said was, I think the coaches purposely gameplanned conservatively, so as not to beat Army by 4 touchdowns, and embarrass them during their recruiting showcase on national TV. I went on to say that this backfired. That this was a huge mistake, as Army came to play, and gave us quite a scare.

Ultimately, I think the overlooking of Army was beyond the players. I think it started at the coaching level.