Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Day of Rooster is finally here!

Well, I must admit, that it felt strange today to wake up in my own bed, without a mild residual buzz, and not coated in dried beer swill, stale hot tub water and dust. Sounds strange, but this is the first time since 1999 that I have arisen on Rooster morn, and been anywhere other than within direct sight of the hallowed ground where the game will be played.

As usual, the Aggies are a big underdog traveling to Lubbock. The Tech fans are already lathered up, and the local convenience stores are all out of tortillas and Duracells. Everyone is expecting Tech to beat up on poor Aggy again, but I say "not so fast". A&M is coming to play, and are armed with a Jorvorskie Lane guarantee, an embattled coach, and tremendous team unity. These guys are winners. This team that won in Austin last Thanksgiving, are certainly capable of a big win in Lubbock. The matchups may heavily favor Tech, but it's not as disparate as it has been in 2003 and 2005. On top of that, A&M has already beaten a team that Tech couldn't handle. OSU had three backs rush for over 100 yards. If the Red Carpet defense couldn't stop Okie Lite, then they will have trouble with McGee, Lane, and Goodson on the ground-----big trouble.

Finally, I had a strange dream this week that Graham Harrell had to play the game with a colostomy bag (not as the football, but actually attached to his body). This should be a sign that Harrell will have a sub-par game, or perhaps that the Aggies will "sack the shit out of him".

All of this put together, gives me all I need to project an Aggie victory in Lubbock this afternoon, and a triumphant return of the Rooster to his rightful throne in Dallas.

What is guaranteed, is that this will be a great game, and a fun weekend, and one that I wish I didn't have to miss it. I will carry a flask in my boot today, as a tribute, and I already have October 18, 2008 circled in blood on my calendar.

1 comment:

Fletch said...

Awww Joe! That made me sad. I'm right there with ya- I hate looking up at the ticker, seeing 0 days left and knowing I'm in the wrong part of the state, with the wrong refreshments and not nearly enough noise.

While my prediction goes the other way, I'm glad you have your Aggie Hope and Love to see you through this tough time.

And remember, it will be much more meaningful when you DO recover he Rooster to carry him back home to Dallas in person.

Thanks for the heads up on next year's date. I'm going to mark it on my calendar as well, and start researching new and improved Jello recipes in anticipation. After all, I'm going to have two years of drinking to make up for next time.