Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Ags get a win!

Should I be excited about a win over New Mexico? The fact is, that I am. Sad as it may be, getting the first win of the new era behind us was important. We do not have a good team. Don't let anyone tell you we lack talent...we have plenty of it. Our offensive line is just that, OFFENSIVE. It's no shock McGee took a beating in the 1st quarter and left with a shoulder injury. Johnson filled in just fine. Not great numbers (except the 3 TD's), but did fine for a guy who had been taking no snaps at QB in practice, and had been playing receiver. Looks like McGee will be ready for the Miami game, with the bye week to recuperate. I'm honestly not sure that's what I want. I think in the overall scheme of things, I'd rather Jerrod get the game experience. I love McGee, but I am just thinking of the future.

Highlights: Michael Bennett on d-line; Jordan Peterson at safety; Jeff Fuller at receiver; Goodson knee not serious.

Question marks: offensive line; linebacker

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,

I think you are kidding yourself about talent at A&M. In all honesty, our team is filled with a bunch of second rung players.

Bennett wasn't even recruited by other top tier schools, and he is probably our best player on defense. Nobody else on the defense will play on Sundays.

The offense is filled with younger guys still trying to find their place in college ball.

With the exception of Goodson, I just don't see any of these guys sniffing the NFL.

Magnum said...

Welker wasn't recruited by top tier schools either.

Goodson, Johnson, Fuller, Brandtly, Bennett, Lane, Heard, Von Miller, Cyrus Gray, Roger Holland, Anthony Lewis. These are talented guys, all recruited by top tier schools except Bennett, who was offered a scholarship to land his brother. Goodson was recruited by USC, Lane by Texas, Fuller decommitted from OU to come to A&M. I didn't say we had talented upperclassmen, but I do think we have a lot of talent. Coaching can bring out their potential, and I just hope we have the right guys on the staff.

Magnum said...

agreed on all counts. I think the coaching has stunk. Time will tell if Sherman and company are the answer.

Anonymous said...

Blake,

for the first time in my life, I think we agree. Overachieving players and personal/ team pride used to be the mantra of aggie teams. Somewhere along the line, we lost this and became underachieveres.... and decided we could coast through games and win.

What ultimately happened was we got our rocks took by OU, Texas, and Tech. I have accepted that...and hope that future teams will lose this sense of entitlement.

Joe's assertion that we have "great players" is absurd. The highly recruited guys we do have are mostly unproven freshman or sophomores who were great high school players.

At this point, Tech has a lot more talent on both sides of the ball.

Fletch said...

it's still cyclical. we aren't a good enough team season to season to be thumping anybody on the head!

bake said...

3 coaches in 6 years seems like it would be a bit confusing if you're aggy-inclined.

Leach and Co. has now been in place for 9 years now, so everyone knows the drill by now in the HUB.

Then again, I can't remember any aggy coach criticizing the team for anything. It's always an excuse - "little bit of slight concussions" or hurricanes.

Is it against everything that's aggy to hold people accountable?

Anonymous said...

blake,

again, I agree regarding aggie coaches and excuses. They always seem lenient in terms of admitting mistakes or wrongdoing...etc.

To Sherman's credit, he admitted that we were outcoached and outplayed in the arkansas State game