Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Through The Bye Week - Stay Focused

Every year Tech drops one early on because of getting ahead of itself. Whether it's talk of dropping a 100 on some weakling of an opponent, or just getting a collective fat head by putting up a bunch of gaudy numbers in a bunch of preseason games, it happens year in, year out.

This team, so far, seems pretty focused on the big plan - tightening up here and there, and not screwing up the whole season's goal of winning the South by dropping an early conference game. We haven't really seen that much from the offense, which I think could be spun in a way that shows Leach is much more coy that perceived. What's the point in showing everything early on?

I like the fact that all of the talk (and rightfully so) is about Daniel and McCoy. We know what Harrell is capable of at this point. I also like that the defense is a talking positive talking point this season as well, as is the running game.

I don't think we've seen much of this team yet, and that excites me even more about October. Let's be serious though - this team should be no higher ranked than #15 right now. #7 is kind of ridiculous after seeing how the first 4 games have been won.

Those lofty projections/hype in 2005 didn't really bode to well with the reality of the season, and I don't really want to see a repeat.

Earn it, Raiders.

4 comments:

Magnum said...

I'll be honest, I usually watch the Teck games but this year I have not. I watched some of the SMU game, but it was boring as hell. I will be interested to see how they fare against competitive teams. Roosterbowl will be interesting. This could be the biggest mismatch since #4 A&M rolled into Lubbock in 1995.

Anonymous said...

the line on Tech/agggies might be 40 points...and at this points, i think i'd take tech to cover.

Magnum said...

especially the way the Aggies are turning the ball over. Of the 28 points scored by OSU in the first half yesterday, only 7 were scored by their offense. A&M turned the ball over 5 times in the first half and gave up 3 TD's on returns (2 INT and 1 punt).

bake said...

Knowing how Underdog Tech of the '90s used to upset Aggy at home a lot, I am slightly concerned that this years visit to the Land of Collie might be not taken as seriously.

Then again, Tech hasn't won that many games there historically, so I think the thought of 90,000 crying Gomers leaving Pyle will keep the team's focus where it should be.