Thursday, September 29, 2005

Bongs, Bloviating, Beef Jerky, and Beer

(Again, seeing how this site is family-friendly, I have refrained from using the obligatory "boobs" reference)

I guess this is my opportunity to post my picks for the rest of the season, and for the most part I agree with Joe, except for a few **notable** games.

Tech:
Kansas: Well, it is Mangino; but conversely, it's also Kansas, and it's the the Hub too. Big win.
@Nebraska: Agreed - good year to travel to Lincoln, and a fantastic venue to make a statement. Win.
K-State: Snyder's boys will come to play (at least for a quarter, depending on how hard Tech smacks them in the mouth early on), but the game is also in the Hub. Win.
@Texas: Hmm. It's already being billed as the game to decide the South, and everyone expects Texas to win (which is exactly what I like). Tech will have to play a flawless, smart game to win, and it's possible - if not plausible.
@Baylor: The Bears could wear pink hats and still wouldn't have a chance. Big win.
A&M: Commander Cody could give Jaxson every play, point to every receiver before he throws the ball, and the Wrecked Crew would still give up 500 yards passing, along with 6 or 7 scores. I won't even get into what Hendo will do. Big win.
@OSU: Gundy sucks in his first year - a truly pathetic bunch of underachievers. (actually, the truth is they were always overrated and now they're just playing up to par) Win.
OU: The Sooners will come to play and play tough - for a while. The fact that this game is in the Hub gives me hope that Tech can pile it on in the end and make the whole state happy.

I still don't know what will happen in Austin on the 22nd, although I will say that I really like Tech's opportunity. The true test will see how this team continues to play the next 3 weeks, and how much maturity and professionalism they bring to the table.

For the record, I'm not a groomsman in a wedding on the day of the UT game - I wouldn't choose to be friends with any dude who would schedule a wedding during football season. I will, in fact, be "giving away" the bride instead - and even though the wedding falls on a bad day for me, it is still an incredible honor. (the bride has degrees from both schools) Here's hoping both teams continue to win, and ABC picks it up for an 11:00 or 2:30 kickoff!

7 comments:

Magnum said...

Does putting boobs in parentheses make it family friendly? I'll have to remember that.

"Commander Cody"?? Nice Baylor reference. And nice John Kerry response on the UT non-prediction.

And, for the record, Dallas uses 972, 214, and 469 area codes. You have been gone too long to know that they took away the geographic designations years ago. I have a Carrollton address, but the most accurate description of where I am on the map is either Dallas or Plano, not Carrollton. This is a funky area, and not worth splitting hairs over. I know you Austinites are way too cool for Dallas, but you'll just have to get over yourself.

bake said...

While on the subject of Hanoi John, do you, or do you not, live in Dallas?

Magnum said...

do you, or do you not, predict a Tech victory over UT?

bake said...

Yeah, I think at this point of the day I'm high enough that I can predict a victory. They have an opportunity to win every game if they play smart and don't make many mistakes.

Regarding last years game: "I have that memory which is seared—seared —in me".

Magnum said...

you heard it here folks! Blake has now predicted Tech to go undefeated, including blowout victories over A&M and OU, and a win in Austin over #2 UT.

That should put Tech in the Rose Bowl playing for the national championship. Do you want to go ahead and make a prediction on that game too?

bake said...

No, I think I'll hold off on that one. The easy pick is the Aggie game, obviously. OU is a better coached team, and even though those guys are down, they already know how to win, so that one still seems a bit ambiguous at this point - the X factor being it's a home game and Tech has the best team it's had so far under Leach. The UT game - well, like I say, no-one expects Tech to win, and UT is a very good team, but stranger things have happened.....I like the opportunity a lot.

Magnum said...

be careful backpedalling that fast. You might tear your achilles tendon or something.