Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Benched



"Maybe if I went to Georgia I would have been a first-round draft pick."

"To be perfectly honest, it wasn’t my dream offense, it’s not necessarily what I wanted to be in as a throwing guy."


If it wasn't for his mouth, I would probably have liked McGee his whole career. He's tough, and he really got screwed over by both of his coaches.

His start to last season was so pathetic, even I wanted to see Johnson in the huddle. When McGee got hurt, it just helped Sherman out of a hole. He knew he had to do something to get aggy going, and Johnson was his horse.

Don't get me wrong, Johnson looks pretty good for a young guy. He shook things up, but he also made a lot of very poor mistakes. Anyone remember the Baylor game?

McGee, as much as I hate to say it, had earned his right to play this past year, and his coach kept him on the bench when he could have played. Sherman wants everyone to believe that McGee was in a body cast most of the year, and also developed rickets as the real reason he was on the bench, but we know it's not true. The fact of the matter is that every aggy knows it's not true either.

Sherman did what a lot of coaches would've done - only he's not man enough to admit it.

3 comments:

Magnum said...

Your op-ed here is very eloquent, but mostly fabricated. Obama-esque in a way, with just enough truth mixed in to make it sound accurate.

HSO's galore, but it doesn't change the fact that McGee had a torn labrum in his shoulder that took much of the season to heal. By the time he was healthy enough to play, it didn't make any sense to risk reinjury of the shoulder. The season was in shambles, and Johnson needed the time under center. Putting McGee in at that point would have just jeopardized his professional career and his draft status. The decision was best for McGee and best for the program.

I'm not claiming to know the exact timeline and all of the details, but I'm quite certain you and Leach don't either. That's the center of the debate. Was Leach out of line to take a shot at McGee? The answer is YES. He has no idea of what he's talking about. He mouthed off, and just like always, now he's acting like he's being victimized.

bake said...

Leach is probably the only coach who wouldn't have benched his QB. In fact, The Shocker himself, BJ Simmons played the whole year on one leg with a torn ACL.

In fact, the only time he's benched a QB was when Harrell was a first year starter against Mizzou at home, and it was just for one series. (should've been the whole game..)

If I had the time and desire, I could find quotes from McGee from last year stating his readiness to return to the lineup. I know they're there, but the fact of t

he matter is I don't really care. It does strike me as funny how aggy has to have official press releases regarding this from both, McGee and Sherman. All this means is that some aggy lawyer wrote them, because it's obvious when you look at how they're both worded.

When's Rooster Bowl again? Tomorrow??

Magnum said...

feels like it. I LOVE IT!