Sunday, April 26, 2009

Stephen McGee and Brandon Williams drafted by Cowboys




I always love it when Roosterbowl veterans are picked up by the Cowboys. I think these were two good picks. Williams will be a solid player. Lots of questions will swirl about the choice of McGee, especially since Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell went undrafted. I believe NFL scouts were running from those guys, because of what I call "The Jimmy Klingler Effect". They put up gaudy numbers, but both were throwing 50 passes a game, and in this case, to great receivers who would just go up and get it. In Harrell's case, he put up gaudy numbers in the same system that also saw BJ Symons, Sonny Cumbie, and Cody Hodges put up impressive stats. What do those guys do for a living now? I think Hodges does color commentary for Texas Tech radio broadcasts now, and the other two guys are working at a carwash in Sweetwater. They also run everything out of the shotgun. Outside of taking a knee, I doubt either of those guys have lined up under center 1o times since junior high. You would have to be drafting them into a system that runs everything out of the gun, or be willing to build an offense around them, to even give them a shot.

McGee, on the other hand, has all the dimensions and the tools to be a good NFL backup, and maybe with some decent coaching, a starter. Good move by Jerry and Stephen.

1 comment:

bake said...

Quincy McGee has to learn how to throw a forward pass against some team without a cow on its helmet. Period.

Williams is a great pick. The guy has literally and figuratively improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years. He's not finished either - he's stil a kid.

I admit, last year shocked me. He was dominant and just kept getting better. It's scary to think where this guy could be in 2-3 years.

I really hated to lose this guy to the pros, but I understand the business of it. I can't wait to see him with a star on his helmet!