Wednesday, November 23, 2005

"Lone Star Showdown"???

I recently saw a listing of college football rivalries, which referred to games like the "Iron Bowl" (Alabama/Auburn), "The Bedlam Game" (OU/Okie State), The "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" (Georgia/Florida), and many others. (For the record, they inadvertently left of the Roosterbowl) The site listed the longest played rivalries, and other interesting details about the series. They correctly called the Texas/OU game "The Red River Shootout", instead of the nauseatingly PC "Red River Rivalry"

This is what caught my attention...they called the A&M/UT game, the 3rd most played rivalry in NCAA, "The Lone Star Showdown". The "Lone Star Showdown"??? What the hell is that? I think that must be the marketing scheme conjured up by State Farm Insurance. Someone please tell me that an advertising campaign will not get to name this storied rivalry.

For the record, the series history is 111 games.....72-34-5 in favor of the Horns, including the recent five year streak. This is very lopsided, which possibly explains the lyrics of the Aggie War Hymn. It's much more lopsided than I ever have accepted or realized, and I am surprised to see it every year. I guess that's because we dominated them in my early years as an Aggie fan. We won four of the five years I was in school there, and A&M is 16-14 vs UT in the last 30 meetings.

The chances of an upset Friday are admittedly slim, but if Georgia Tech can beat Miami, and Oklahoma State can pull the shocker on Texas Tech, then the Ags could pull off a home victory against the Bonghorns. I will be watching, surrounded by my Longhorn family and in-laws (my daughter has even defected to orange), and hopefully with the support of Handsome Ted.

"On any Saturday" (or Friday!)

1 comment:

Magnum said...

amending this post. My daughter did NOT defect. She wore maroon all day Thursday and Friday.