Wednesday, October 15, 2008

FLASHBACK: 1999

The Fightin' Texas Aggies, defending Big 12 Champs and ranked #5 in the nation, rolled undefeated into Lubbock. No one expected much of a contest from the pitiful Red Raiders, 1-2, and coming off an embarrassing loss to the Mean Green of North Texas State. Everyone fully believed the Aggies would steamroll Tech.

Not so fast. This rivalry can be unpredictable, and strange things can happen. Tech held on to a slim 21-19 upset of the #5 Aggies that Saturday, while I desperately tried to get updates to my pager, while attending Shannon's best friend's wedding (I'll never understand why anyone would get married in the fall, but that's another post.) A&M went on to an 8-4 season, with embarrassing losses to OU, Nebraska, and Penn State, but none was more devastating than the upset in Lubbock.

My point in this post, is that I ALWAYS hold out hope for a win. They play the game for a reason, and it's games like this, where I know my attendance brings the possibility of witnessing an incredible upset. I know Aggies who are fed up and refusing to attend, but I wouldn't miss it for the world. I will always see the world through Maroon Colored Glasses, and hold a whiff of hope that on any given Saturday, against any opponent, the Fightin' Texas Aggies will bring victory.

2 comments:

bake said...

I'm hoping that the only suspense on Saturday is what color pants Tech chooses to wear. I'm fully aware of what can happen, as I was in attendance in 1999.

Magnum said...

do you remember how mad I was after that game? I don't think I even returned your calls for over a week. What an ass I was!