Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Regarding Aggy:

Tech’s upperclassmen didn’t take shots Monday at Texas A&M, their next opponent. But they also didn’t tread lightly around the subject of the Aggies and their unique traditions.

“I’ve never been a real big fan of it,” Tech inside receiver Eric Morris said. “There’s a lot of them when they come marching in before the games: I guess the ROTC. I don’t know what it is, really - the fake army, which I don’t know if that’s a good thing to say.

“But there’s a lot of them, march around the field forever and all kinds of chants. I don’t know what it means, but they have great tradition there, so you have to respect that. Their fans get into it. It’s a great atmosphere to play in.”

Senior center Stephen Hamby said he’s looking forward to playing in Kyle Field, because he gets a charge out of fans “telling me I’m terrible.”

Hamby, who’s known for his humorous personality, figures the A&M crowd will take care of that. “They’re supposed to be classy fans or whatever. They’re not,” he said with a smile.

“I’ve been in their stadium before. They do the hiss thing. That’s about as far as they say they go. But I’d rather have somebody tell me I’m terrible than tell me I’m great.”

Hamby said he’s had a relative in A&M’s corps of cadets.

“My brother-in-law was in it, I think,” Hamby said. “Needless to say, he wore a kilt to my sister’s wedding. They’re just a different breed down there. I’m not too enthusiastic about their whole thing they’ve got going. … Every friend I’ve had go to A&M turns out different when they come back.”

5 comments:

Magnum said...

well, every friend I've had go to Tech has come back much earlier than the expected four years, usually with gambling debts and an STD, so I guess you could call that different too.

I sure hope none of the Aggie fans hurt Stephen Hamby's feelings by telling him he's "terrible". Nice made up story. What a douchebag.

bake said...

Wow. Calling him a douchebage just seals the deal on what he said is true I guess. Aggy...

Magnum said...

do you think I hurt his feelings?

bake said...

probably not - Don't forget to bring polish on the trip so you can shine up your halo before the game.

Magnum said...

my halo's pretty tarnished.